Sunday, September 19, 2010

Starting on Scale Cables-A Preview

It's late, I'm tired, and I haven't accomplished much since this morning (except for spending a bit more money than originally intended on some beefier connectors, additional protection, and custom cabling-I did start building those, though), so here's a quick preview of what's coming up soon:


More details soon...

Oh, yea-here's a pic of myself, taken by yours truly:



I should've had my son take the pic, but I'm sure he would've thought it was for an online dating service (I did use this pic on one, so I didn't want to hear him say, "I told you so" after he found out, LOL).

BTW-I don't work in the shop with an unbuttoned shirt; that's just too dangerous.  Old "T's" are my preference when at the home shop/work room.

More to come shortly, I plan to make some serious progress on the DRO and mounting the scales ASAP-hopefully finishing the entire DRO project within a couple weeks from now.

4 comments:

  1. Hey dude,

    Good to have a pic to the name :)

    I've had problem soldering wires to those cups. Couldn't seem to get them hot enough for the solder to flow. When they did, I smell rubber...

    Regards,
    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wong!

    It's nice to see a pic to relate you, too.

    I hadn't thought of encountering any problems while soldering the wiring to the cups in these receptacles and connectors, but I have several clip-on style heat sinks I can use when I solder them. I will disconnect the wiring from the PCB and install the 35 Watt element in my Weller iron when I solder them, and I'll be sure to tin the ends of the wires before soldering them, too. I bought solid core/single strand wiring to connect to these because I thought those may be easier to solder to the cups on the XLR style terminals, but I'll keep a fan and some soaked sponges handy to prevent ruining the insulation material inside them (these have plastic insulators though, not rubber, so I hope they can withstand the higher temps that the 35W element in my Weller will output).

    Thanks for the warning!

    You're making some good progress on your projects it seems; great material in your blog! I'm trying to keep up with it as I can and I always enjoy reading your new entries. Keep up the good work!

    Best wishes,

    Adam Collins

    P.S. I had to google your reference to the "Casio F-200;" I thought it may have been a keyboard before I searched it. My TI-30XIIS (a $15 Texas Instruments calculator) has served me well throughout the course of my studies, even when the majority of other students bought graphing calculators for the last math class I had taken, I still used the same TI-30XIIS and learned those equations and functions the hard way on it! I thought I'd be moving onto calculus at the time for the engineering degree I wanted (and still want), but I may eventually go back for those classes after finishing the machine tool program (I still think I'd make a good engineer, but I LOVE operating both manual and CNC machines-especially the industrial sized ones!)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam,
    The Casio FC-200 is a financial calculator, an essential tool in mine and many other related trades. It doesn't come with those trig function etc. But I bought a simple one with fractions for that.

    Put on the pic of your little one if you can. He sure sound adorable in your descriptions.

    Regards,
    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Premier Industries is one of the best soldering wires manufacturer in India and also soldering wire suppliers in delhi india. Our soldering wire products match ISO qualities.

    ReplyDelete